Self-publishing through ebooks has become quite the rage, but there is more to it than just slapping a word document on to Amazon. To stand out from the myriad of other titles on Amazon, you’ll need a good editor, a fabulous layout artist, a professional illustrator for your cover, and a web presence that will bring in the readers. Oh, and your book needs to be well written, interesting, and quite the page turner.
Still thinking about self-publishing?
If so, then you’ll want to enter our ‘Self-Publish or Perish Competition’.
The winner receives a self-publishing package worth over £3,000, which includes:
- A professional copyedit of the manuscript
- Layout and design of the book
- Bespoke cover art
- A custom designed webpage
- A professionally shot book trailer
- Practical advice on how to sell your book online
The winner will also have their book featured on ShortbreadStories.
What can be Submitted:
- Entries can take the form of a novel, a short story collection, or a novella and accompanying stories. (Sorry no poetry collections accepted.)
- All entries must be completely unpublished. Exceptions include work published on ShortbreadStories and/or work published on your own blog or private website.
- Send your COMPLETED manuscript
- A cover page including your name, email address and title of the manuscript.
Submissions accepted from 9 April to 17 June 2012
How to Submit:
- We will accept email submissions only (please DO NOT submit through your ShortbreadStories Writing Desk)
- Your manuscript and synopsis must be in a Word Document (save your manuscript as a .doc NOT as a .docx)
- To enter you must be a member of ShortbreadStories, which is free to join.
- The public will vote on a sample from each manuscript.
- The manuscript sample will consist of the first 3500 words of each submission (to the end of the nearest sentence) and the synopsis or table of contents. The sample will be uploaded to the ShortbreadStories website by the ShortbreadStories team.
- Public voting starts on 18 June and will close on 20 July 2012.
- The final winner will be chosen from those with the top five public votes.
- The judging panel for the top winner will consist of those donating to the ‘Self-Publish or Perish’ Competition prize. (Birdwing Editing, Red Lava Design, digitalmyway, Kirby Ink, August Pictures Film Co)
- The winner will be announced on 1 October.
Responsibility of the Winner:
- ISBN, URL, and registration on Amazon will not be part of the package, and must be arranged and paid for by the winner. However, ShortbreadStories will be on hand to guide you through that process.
- The winner of the ‘Self-Publish or Perish’ Competition will retain all rights to their own work.
Self-Publish or Perish is sponsored by the following organisations, who will be donating to the prize:
August Pictures Film Co offers affordable, versatile and innovative promotional videos for a wide variety of organisations – from green energy companies…to theatres…to publishing authors like you wanting to promote a new book.
Birdwing Editing: Words can make your ideas fly. Birdwing creates words that speak clarity and confidence. Delivering your message in direct and powerful statements, we know that language has the ability to soar, to take you anywhere. We create messaging, writing and brand expression that communicates with difference and strength.
Digital My Way is a Glasgow based web consultancy. Using our experience in design and development we aim to create or improve our clients’ websites so that they can attain their goals more easily.
Kirby Ink is a place where stories are told with art. You will find custom illustration that is meant to capture life’s memories and fill the nooks and crannies in your home and heart.
RedLava Book Design exists to make your publishing experience as pain-free as possible. Are you an aspiring author with a desire to produce your first/next work of fact or fiction? Or are you a small publishing house searching for a new design approach, or looking to convert your existing titles to e-publications? Whichever is the case, we can help with every step of the production process. After over twenty years in the publishing world, it’s what we’re good at.